Minutes of Meeting 12th February 2020




Cllr. J. Forrester (Chair)

Cllr. M. Russell (Vice-Chair)

Cllr D Batchelor

Gayle Whelan

19/53 Apologies

BC Ray Sutherland

Cllr M. Winnington

19/54 Declarations of interest in the following agenda:


19/55 Previous minutes:

Minutes of 20 November 2019 were agreed as a true record.

19/56 Questions from the public

No members of the public were in attendance.

19/57 Finance matters


Councillors agreed that the precept for 2020/2021 should be close to inflation, currently 1.76%. Cllr Batchelor proposed an increase of 1.5%. Cllr Russell seconded and it was unanimously agreed the precept amount to be increased by 1.5% for the forthcoming financial year.

2020/2021 budget:

Councillors agreed to discuss the forthcoming year's budget at the next parish council meeting in March.

Accounts to date:

The latest statement date for December 2019 showed:

Reserve account balance £978.00

Current account balance £8,278.81

19/58: Churchyard treework.

It was agreed that as the parish council had stated it would support the church with request for some minor maintenance, that this should be upheld, although different acts suggest this is not constitutional. As a precedent has already been set with continued mowing of the churchyard, it was felt the parish council should consider a formal request in writing for funding treework within the churchyard going forward.


Mowing: An invoice request for mowing has been made to the council for the forthcoming year. It was agreed Streetscene are doing a good job and are competitively priced.

Action: The parish council is awaiting a quote amount and will discuss at the next meeting.

Highways: BT are cleaning out two chambers which will be pressure washed and the road through Ranton will be closed for the day.

Footpaths: Nothing further to report.

Gulleys and weeding: Some farmers have cleaned ditches and gulleys.

19/59 Clerk's report

Nothing to report.

19/60 Planning updates

DriveMe: A variation of clause 10 approvals (sound measurement) was that within one year a noise management system should be in place with results forward to SBC. This has so far not happened.

Action: Cllr Forrester will write to voice his concern as a local resident and a coordinated letter will be sent on behalf of the parish councillors.

19/61 Chairman's questions/items for information/next agenda

The parish newsletter requires updating with correct councillor contact details.

An agenda item to consider having the meetings every other month will be added to the next parish council meeting which is planned for Thursday, 19 March 2020.

Signed.................................................. Date...........................

Gayle Whelan, Ranton Parish Council Clerk